Tuesday, September 20, 2011

September Pick: Wake


I'm finally up to September! 

And this month's book is... 



Title: Wake
Author: Lisa McMann
Year Published: 2008

Synopsis: Not all dreams are sweet. For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime. She can't tell anybody about what she does -- they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can't control. Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant....

Why?: I was in Books-A-Million with my mom and I was looking through all the books on clearance (since I'm so cheap I don't like to pay full price for anything) and kept coming across this book and its sequels. It sounded like a very interesting concept, and even though I'm really over the whole trilogy thing, the books were fairly short and I figured it wouldn't take me very long to get through them. I originally intended on the whole series being supplemental reading, but decided to just make the first one my "book of the month" so that Paul would have to read it as well. 

Expectations: I'm apparently doing a fantastic job of picking books from authors that I have no previous knowledge about. I don't know McMann's writing style, and I don't know if she'll even do a decent job tackling such a weird topic. I hope it doesn't go too paranormal, but we'll see...

Judging a book by its cover: The cover is pretty simple - lots of black with the title and a pillow as the only color on the whole cover. It definitely make me think that the main character will spend a lot of time immersed in other peoples' dreams, or having her own dreams. She is a dreamcatcher, after all...


Writing these is still much easier BEFORE you actually read the book... It's weird to write about my expectations and judging a book by its cover once I've already read it.

Only five more until I'm caught up!

--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment