Saturday, May 5, 2012

Ashley's May Book - The Selection


Title: The Selection
Author: Kiera Cass 
Year Published: 2012

Synopsis: For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

Why?: Amazon has been recommending this to me for a few months now, and the more I looked at it the more I wanted to read it. Although it sounds like "The Bachelor," I think it sounds more epic and more interesting than "The Bachelor" ever could be. I've only heard good things about this novel, so that also helped me pick it. Plus, the cover is gorgeous.

Expectations: I'm expecting an epic "Bachelor" kind of feel to this book, but with princes and princesses and war and all sorts of other awesome things. I'm also expecting some self-discovery - maybe America isn't really in love with Aspen? Or maybe she decides that she has to give up her own desires to help save her family? I'm really expecting quite a lot from this book, and I'm really hoping it will exceed all of them. 

Judging a book by its cover: The cover is gorgeous. I love America's dress (I assume the main girl is America) and I think all of the girls wearing the same dress will be important. Maybe they wear the same dress so the Prince doesn't choose based on wealth or fashion sense alone? And I love that there is a tiara over the title. Obviously, getting that crown is very important.



I'm so excited to start reading this!


--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment