Monday, August 13, 2012

The Island of Dr. Moreau

Title: The Island of Dr. Moreau
Author: H.G. Wells
Year Published: 1896

I haven't read a classic in some time. I believe the only other H.G. Wells novel I have read is The Time Machine, which I read many years ago. It was interesting going from modern YA to something written in the 1800s.

I did not know what to expect when I started reading this. I was recently home in Memphis, where my parents still live and my old bookshelf lives as well. I perused the bookshelf for books I hadn't read that I was interested in reading. This was one of my discoveries. I later found out that this book is available for free on Goodreads. I'm glad I know that now because other classics can also be found there, too.

The main subject this book deals with is the difference between man and beast. Dr. Moreau has created Beast Men through vivisection, merging different breeds into humanlike entities. The science of this book is unbelievable, but I'm sure this was a potential fear for people in the late 1800s. Darwinism had emerged and science was quickly progressing.  

Taking into account the time period this book was written, it must have been groundbreaking. I really enjoyed the way religion was brought into it. The Beast Men's mentalities has similarities to the animals in Animal Farm, with laws that they force themselves to follow. 

The language was, at first, difficult to comprehend, but I got used to it a few chapters in. The word "presently" is used in this novel an excessive amount!  

I give this book a 4/5. Classics always seem better when you aren't reading them for school. I recommend this to anyone interested in a classic thriller sci-fi. There were some pretty creepy parts in this book.

-PAUL

No comments:

Post a Comment