Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Witch Born (Ashley's Review!)

*I received this book as an eARC from the author, Amber Argyle, in return for an honest review. Thanks, Amber!*


My Review of Witch Song

I'm not really sure how to explain how much I loved this book without giving away too many spoilers, but I'll try.

Argyle does a wonderful job bringing the reader back into Senna's world. Although she just recently finished saving the Haven witches from Espen, the Dark Witch, Senna is not treated like their savior at all. Many of the witches resent her and the power and beauty of her song, and the Discipline Heads refuse to tell her things that concern her. It's pretty frustrating to read about, so I can't even imagine how I would feel in that situation. She has a very quick temper and takes things out on her mother and Joshen, but it's almost like they're the only ones who will listen to her.

The world-building in Witch Song was done very well, but I think the expansion upon that world in Witch Born was even better. With the addition of one new place, Senna's world completely changes. I definitely enjoyed the introduction of the new settings and the new threat to the Haven witches. It completely made sense in the world Argyle created, but it was also unexpected. At least for me.

Although Senna definitely matured and grew over the course of the last novel, it was nothing compared to her transformation in this one. She becomes a stronger person, and makes sacrifices that I don't think she previously would have. Her decisions are based more on saving the world than saving herself and those she loves - and she also sacrifices things in order to stay with those she loves. Several times over the course of Witch Born, I felt like Argyle was trying to break my heart into a million pieces. And, if she was, it totally worked.

I loved the ending, and even though I would definitely read another book about Senna and her world, I'm glad it ended how it did. There are very few questions left unanswered, but there's just enough to make you want to learn a little bit more.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone who has read Witch Song. It's a must-read sequel! And if you haven't read Witch Song yet, but enjoy YA fantasy novels, you should go pick up a copy so you can read Witch Born! It's a fantasy mixed with mystery and romance and a whole lot of character maturation and growth. I would give this book a 4/5!


--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment