Monday, October 1, 2012

Ashley's October Book: Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (Pre-Reading)

Title: Before I Fall
Author: Lauren Oliver 
Year Published: 2011

Synopsis: What if you only had one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?

Samantha Kingston has it all: looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it turns out to be her last.

The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. Living the last day of her life seven times during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death--and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing


Why?: I've read both books in Oliver's Delirium trilogy, and loved both of them, so I wanted to see what her debut novel was like. I've heard very good things about it, and I've wanted to read it for a while. I'm excited to see how Oliver will construct the world and the characters given that Samantha only lives one day.

Expectations: I expect a very emotional novel dealing with life and death, and how people would live differently if they knew they were going to die at the end of the day. I expect the heroine to be a strong young woman, but I don't expect her to fully grasp why she's given the chance (or maybe forced?) to live her last day over and over. 

Judging a book by its cover: Typically, I wouldn't pick up a book with a cover like this. The colors and the picture of the girl's face that's really close don't really depict a story I'd be interested in. But, that being said, I think the cover is done well for what it is.


--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment