Friday, November 16, 2012

Paul's Dorothy of Oz Prequel Review

***I received an eARC from IDW Publishing on NetGalley***

Title: Dorothy of Oz Prequel
Authors: Denton J. Tipton, Blair Shedd, Eric Shanower
Year Published: 2012

RELEASE DATE: November 20, 2012

Review: I have always loved "The Wizard of Oz". Everyone wishes to escape their own life and end up on the other end of a rainbow. Just thinking of the sepia tone farm leading way into the colorful Munchkin city bring a smile to my face. So, when I heard about this new animated movie I was excited, yet hesitant. I have enjoyed past incarnations of Oz, such as Return to Oz, The Wiz, and Wicked(both the book and the musical). I want this movie to capture the magic of Oz. With Lea Michele and Megan Hilty providing their voices, I don't think there will be any problems there.

This comic book takes place after the original Wizard of Oz story. Dorothy has only recently left after reciting her famous lines. The Lion, Scarecrow, and Tin Man have their new found courage, brains, and heart. Unfortunately for our heroes, a new villain steps in: the Wicked Witch's brother jester. Dorothy's old companions band together with the help of some new colorful characters to try and bring Dorothy back to Oz. That's where I'm assuming the movie, which comes out in 2013, will pick up.

I loved how colorful each of the pages were. The art style is the same as the upcoming movie. Many characters that will appear in that movie are introduced. There is a city full of people made of china, like the plates not the country. There's also a man made of marshmallows and a large owl named Wiser. Each of these characters plays a small part in this prequel and I'm sure they will have bigger roles in the movie. 

Although there were many cliches and I am not fond of a sequel villain being related to a former villain  this was a very fun read. The actions are childish and the dialogue is playful. 

After reading this, I am confident the new movie will uphold the spirit if Oz. I give this prequel comic a 4/5.

-PAUL

No comments:

Post a Comment