Thursday, November 8, 2012

Saga (Volume One) - Paul's Review


*I received this book as an eARC from Image Comics on NetGalley in exchange for a fair review*

Title:
Saga (Volume One)
Author: Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples
Year Published: 2012

Amazon | Goodreads

Synopsis: When two soldiers from opposite sides of a never-ending galactic war fall in love, they risk everything to bring a fragile new life into a dangerous old universe.

From New York Times bestselling writer Brian K. Vaughan (Y: The Last Man, Ex Machina) and critically acclaimed artist Fiona Staples (Mystery Society, North 40), Saga is the sweeping tale of one young family fighting to find their place in the worlds. Fantasy and science fiction are wed like never before in this sexy, subversive drama for adults.


Review: I read this series as each issue came out. When I saw Image Comics had the trade paperback compilation of all the released issues, I had to get it and review it. 


One of my favorite graphic novel series, in which I even own all ten volumes, is Y:The Last Man by Brian K. Vaughn. He write really well with characters over a long period of time. Some series lack as it continues, but Vaughn has an excellent way of never losing the reader's interest. This series definitely has that potential. 

At the start, you are thrust into this completely captivating world. There are feuding planets, winged aliens, horned aliens, and robot people. And that is just to start. Later we met bounty hunters with large feline companions and another that resembles a giant spider. A ghost even joined the cast!

The world is so rich and I really hope this series continues for a long time. Each story is told from the two main characters' daughter's future self. She is only just born in the story. Her parents are from the feuding sides of the war. Her mother has wings, while her father has horns. She has both. 

Vaughn and Staples bring up issues of family, asking what exactly makes a family? Is love enough for this family to get by on? Can they raise a child while they are being hunted down by both sides of a war?

If you are a fan of sci-fi epics like Star Wars, Firefly, or Battlestar Galactica you will enjoy this series!

I can't wait to pick up new issues! I give this first volume a 4/5. I hesitated to give it a 5 because I know further issues will draw me in to the story even more now that I know the characters. I hope this is only the start of an awesome series!


-PAUL

No comments:

Post a Comment