Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Every Day by David Levithan - Ashley's Review

My Pre-Reading
Paul's Pre-Reading
Paul's Review

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

I have no idea how to describe this book. The whole concept, of waking up every morning in someone else's body, is something I've never read about before. It's also something I can't imagine having to go through. But Levithan takes A's story and writes it so that you, like A, wonder what's going to happen next and whose body you're going to wake up in.

At first, I felt so bad for A. Not having any family, not being able to make any friends, and never being able to create any memories of his (or her) own. I guess after a while, you would get used to that... but having never lived through it I don't know how anyone, especially Rhiannon, could ever understand. The decisions that A makes though are really mature decisions, and I was very happy with his/her final choice at the end of the novel. It was probably the saddest happy ending I've ever read.

There was nothing about this novel that I disliked. The pacing and the writing were perfect, and all of the relationships were very well done. Even though there were times when I felt a couple of the minor characters were unnecessary, I was relieved when it turned out that there were no extra characters that weren't important to the novel.

I really don't want to give anything away, because I think knowing less about this novel will allow you to get more out of it. There's really not a specific YA genre I could put this in to to recommend it to people who enjoy that genre, although I guess you could call it a Contemporary YA book? Regardless, I think everyone who enjoys YA should definitely pick up this book. You won't regret it. 5/5 here, and I wish it was possible to rate higher than that! I'll definitely be looking for more of David Levithan's books in the future!


--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment