Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Warlord of Mars (Barsoom #3) by Edgar Rice Burroughs - Ashley's Pre-Reading


Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Title: The Warlord of Mars 
Author: Edgar Rice Burroughs 
Year Published: 1913-1914 as serials, 1919 as novel

Synopsis: 
Far to the north, in the frozen wastes of Polar Mars, lay the home of the Holy Therns, sacred and inviolate. Only John Carter dared to go there to find his lost Dejah Thoris. But between him and his goal lay the bones of all who had gone before.


Why?: I've read the first two books in this series, A Princess of Mars and The Gods of Mars, and enjoyed both of them immensely. They're nice, short, classic science fiction stories that have lived through generations, and I think that's pretty cool. Plus, I'm all about space novels with new creatures and adventures. And a pretty kick-ass hero. Plus, the ending of The Gods of Mars was such a cliffhanger that I really have to read this book too. Oh, and it's free for Kindle! So that's a pretty big bonus. 

Expectations: I expect this book to be similar to the first two. I don't think it will be an easy read (since it was written in 1913 and I'm not used to the language used), but I do think it will be a fun read. Burroughs hasn't let me down yet, so I'm hoping he doesn't here either.

Judging a book by its cover: There are so many covers out there for this book that it's hard to judge it based on just one. I like this cover though - it's colorful and has an alien creature on the front. And it looks pretty comic book-y to me, so that's a plus. If this was the cover I saw, I would likely pick it up. 


--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment