Monday, October 28, 2013

The Rain is a Lie (Crewel World #1.5) by Gennifer Albin - Ashley's Review

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads | Tor.com

Title: The Rain is a Lie
Author: Gennifer Albin
Year Published: 2013

My Crewel review
My Altered review
Paul's Crewel review

Synopsis: 
In Arras, space and time aren't ideas, they are tangible substances woven together by beautiful girls into the very fabric of reality. The looms that create Arras are as controlled as the Spinsters who work them, ensuring a near idyllic world for the average citizen. But at what price? 


As an election approaches, a surprise weather forecast and a mysterious stranger hint that not all is as it seems, and a young boy learns that in Arras nothing can be trusted, not even memories. "The Rain is a Lie" is an original short story set in the world of Gennifer Albin's Crewel.

--------------------------------------------------

Review: I love short stories set in known worlds, so I was really excited when I found out about this one! Crewel was one of my favorite books this year, and I am so glad I was able to learn a little bit more about Arras and its people before Altered was released. It definitely helps to ease the anticipation! 

This story was a lot more tame than Altered, but I think it still gave the same message - that things are not always as they seem. Instead of a young woman, we follow a small boy as he goes to meet his mother at the market. He sees and hears things that he finds strange and doesn't understand, but no one is willing to listen to him or explain anything. I think it also says something about parents and adults in this society. Sometimes children hear and see things that the adults miss or pretend are not there, but end up being right. 

I really want to know the significance of the rain being a lie, and how this story ties in to the main books. I think I need to reread Crewel at the very least, but it was still a good story and expansion on the world nonetheless. I definitely recommend this to anyone who has read any of the other books/stories in the Crewel World series! Especially because you can read it for free on Tor's website! 3/5. 


--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment