Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Cold Spell (Fairytale Retellings #4) by Jackson Pearce - Paul's Review

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Title: Cold Spell (Fairytale Retellings #4)
Author: Jackson Pearce
Year Published: 2013

My Cold Spell (#4) PRE-READING
My Fathomless (#3) REVIEW
My Sweetly (#2) REVIEW
My Sisters Red (#1) REVIEW

Ashley's Cold Spell (#4) REVIEW
Ashley's Fathomless (#3) REVIEW
Ashley's Sweetly (#2) REVIEW
Ashley's Sisters Red (#1) REVIEW

Synopsis: Kai and Ginny grew up together–best friends since they could toddle around their building’s rooftop rose garden. Now they’re seventeen, and their relationship has developed into something sweeter, complete with stolen kisses and plans to someday run away together.

But one night, Kai disappears with a mysterious stranger named Mora–a beautiful girl with a dark past and a heart of ice. Refusing to be cast aside, Ginny goes after them and is thrust into a world she never imagined, one filled with monsters and thieves and the idea that love is not enough.

If Ginny and Kai survive the journey, will she still be the girl he loved–and moreover, will she still be the girl who loved him?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Review: This book is a wonderful adaptation of The Snow Queen. I really liked how I could match the characters with their fairytale counterpart. Pearce continues to expand the mythology she has created. I loved all the connections to her already existing mythology as well as all the new and interesting things she introduced. I like how we get more details each book. 

I really liked the main relationship in this book. I loved all their little quirks and how some of those nuances came into play at the conclusion of the book. 

There were so many unique and interesting characters. I especially liked the chapters from Mora's point of view.

This book was an easy and fun read. Some things happen too easy, but it's still an enjoyable read. I think Pearce's books have only gotten better. I liked Fathomless more, but I think that's only because of the subject. 

I'm waiting for an epic team up book where all these awesome characters from each Fairy Tale Retelling come together to take on the Fenris. This needs to happen!

I hope Pearce continues to reinterpret fairytales into modern stories. I give this book a 4.5/5 and it's a must read if you've read Pearce's other books. If you like fairytales and haven't, I'd suggest starting at the beginning though. They are each their own stories, but the experience of reading them as a series is so much better.


--PAUL

No comments:

Post a Comment