Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Book of the Night (Librynth #3) by Pearl North - Ashley's Review


Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Title: The Book of the Night
Author: Pearl North
Year Published: 2012

 

Synopsis: The world of the Libyrinth has experienced a series of wrenching changes. After the Libyrarians and their longtime foes the Singers discovered their common heritage, a young healer named Po found the Lion’s Bloom, an ancient and enormously powerful artifact capable of rewriting reality. 

Behind the mysteries of their shrouded past has always been the legendary Book of the Night. Sought for generations, both feared and revered, it is the key to this world of wonders. When vain, grasping Queen Thela steals the Lion’s Bloom and imperils the very reality of the world, only the Book can heal what she has rent asunder. An epic journey through strange lands, a perilous encounter in a clockwork city, and the revelation of the truth beyond reality will lead those who find the Book to a moment when their world will either be saved...or cease to exist.
 
-----------------------------------------------
 
Review: I honestly do not understand why this series, and this book in particular, did not take the YA world by storm. This is one of those rare series where the books just keep getting better and better, and this last book just totally blew me away! It has everything an excellent fantasy book should have, plus elements of almost every other genre out there. There's sci-fi and dystopia and romance and everything I love about books. 
 
One of my favorite parts about this book was how it was told from so many different perspectives. We see things from Haly, Clauda, Selene, Gyneth, and Po, and sometimes it switches characters mid-sentence. I know that sounds like it would be incredibly jarring, but it really works ridiculously well. We even get a few other characters thrown in there too, and it's really neat to be able to see how everyone ties together to make this world survive. 

All of the characters were developed so well, and I loved getting to know them even better in this book. Even though you'd think there wasn't much more to learn about them, some of them really surprised me and did things I never would have imagined they were capable of in order to save their friends and their world. Some of the things were totally insane, but nothing was ever out of character. 

I also completely fell in love with this world in this book. I mean, I loved it before and I loved how complex the politics and the relationships and everything were, but this book took everything I knew and twisted it upside down. Everything is the same, but somehow this world is now completely different. All of the books are tied together so well, and the story just flows. I was NOT expecting the revel near the end about the world, and I think I enjoyed it even more because of that.

I don't want to give anything away because I think everyone who enjoys any YA books should read this series for themselves and discover the Libyrinth and the Song and the Redemption for themselves. I would love to live in the world of the Ancients for a little while just because of all the technology and magic and everything. Definitely a strong 5/5, and I would totally rate it higher if I could!


--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment