Friday, March 28, 2014

Cress (The Lunar Chronicles #3) by Marissa Meyer - Paul's Review

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Title: Cress (The Lunar Chronicles #3)

Author: Marissa Meyer
Year Published: 2014

My Cress (#3) Pre-ReadingMy 
The Little Android (#2.5) Review
My Scarlet (#2) Review
My The Queen's Army (#1.5) Review
My Cinder (#1) Review

Ashley's Cress (#3) Review
Ashley's The Little Android (#2.5) Review
Ashley's Scarlet (#2) Review
Ashley's The Queen's Army (#1.5) Review
Ashley's Cinder (#1) Review


Synopsis: 
Rapunzel’s tower is a satellite. She can’t let down her hair—or her guard. 


In this third book in the bestselling Lunar Chronicles series, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army. 


Their best hope lies with Cress, who has been trapped on a satellite since childhood with only her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker—unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice. 


When a daring rescue goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing stop her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only ones who can.



----------------------------------------------------------------

Review: This series just keeps getting better. I really like how much of an ensemble story it has become. The main cast each have their own stories that take place in different locations, but everything connects in such a wonderful way. There really isn't a main character anymore. Cress of course takes the center stage for this book, but Cinder and Scarlet are still right there. I love how quirky the characters are. They're very Whedon-esque. Iko, Cress, and Thorne are three of my favorite when it comes to quirks. And I bet Winter is going to be even more unique!


I can't separate my love for Joss Whedon from what I love about this series. Everything I love about Whedon's works is present in this series. I always imagine the Rampion's insides as that of a Firefly-class starship. 

This is a retelling of the Rapunzel story. There are many very obvious references, but there are also subtle references to the original story. If you aren't familiar with the fairy tale and only Disney's version you may want to find a telling of it first. I think knowing the original story adds to this one, but it is not necessary. The story is its own, especially since all the other characters don't necessarily follow the retelling. But, some characters from past books take on unexpected roles in this book. I also love how Winter is being set up.

The ensemble cast is handled so well and I really enjoy how the characters interact with eachother. The couples don't only interact with their potential love interest, but with all the characters in unique and interesting ways. Cress and Wolf is one example. 

This was one of those books I couldn't put down, but never wanted it to end. I am glad these books are getting thicker. I hope Winter is even longer! I give this third book in The Lunar Chronicles a 5/5. I highly recommend this series.     


--Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment