Saturday, March 15, 2014

Pivot Point (Pivot Point #1) by Kasie West - Ashley's Review

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Title: Pivot Point (Pivot Point #1)
Author: Kasie West
Year Published: 2013

My Pivot Point Pre-Reading

Synopsis: Knowing the outcome doesn't always make a choice easier...

Addison Coleman’s life is one big “What if?” As a Searcher, whenever Addie is faced with a choice, she can look into the future and see both outcomes. It’s the ultimate insurance plan against disaster. Or so she thought. When Addie’s parents ambush her with the news of their divorce, she has to pick who she wants to live with—her father, who is leaving the paranormal compound to live among the “Norms,” or her mother, who is staying in the life Addie has always known. Addie loves her life just as it is, so her answer should be easy. One Search six weeks into the future proves it’s not.

In one potential future, Addie is adjusting to life outside the Compound as the new girl in a Norm high school where she meets Trevor, a cute, sensitive artist who understands her. In the other path, Addie is being pursued by the hottest guy in school—but she never wanted to be a quarterback’s girlfriend. When Addie’s father is asked to consult on a murder in the Compound, she’s unwittingly drawn into a dangerous game that threatens everything she holds dear. With love and loss in both lives, it all comes down to which reality she’s willing to live through . . . and who she can’t live without.

------------------------------------------------

Review: There were just so many things that I loved about this book! It's thrilling and deals with so many tough topics and was everything I hoped it would be. It's got a paranormal twist to it, but it really wasn't too outlandish or anything. The teenagers acted like teenagers even though they have special gifts and the relationships are believable.

One of my favorite things about this book was how each chapter began. You would think that switching between realities would be incredibly confusing, but Kasie makes it easy to decipher which one is which. Each chapter begins with a word, followed by its definition. At the beginning of the chapters where Addie adjusts to life outside the Compound, "NORM" is emphasized in the words defined. For the chapters in which Addie has chosen to stay in the Compound, "PARA" is emphasized. This made it really easy for me to jump between her two lives and follow what was happening. The chapters that are not part of the search  have neither "NORM" nor "PARA" emphasized.

I think one of the things that this book deals with really well is loss. Loss is never easy no matter what form it comes in, and Addie deals with it in so many different forms. Her parents get divorced, so she loses either her mother (if she leaves) or her father (if she stays). She loses friends in both realities. No matter which reality she chooses, she has to give up one love. There's so much at stake that I can't imagine being able to search the future and then having to decide which life would be the best. Her decision at the end of the book is a brave one, and one I hoped she would never have to make. But there is hope for the future, and hope is always an excellent note to end on. 

I don't want to give anything away because I think this book is better experienced on your own. The writing is beautiful and kept me hooked from the beginning. I found myself wanting to read this book into the wee hours of the morning, and I am a little upset that I didn't immediately get the sequel to continue Addie's story. I will definitely be picking it up ASAP, because that ending (while not a cliffhanger) makes me want it now! 

I would totally recommend this book to anyone who is a fan of paranormal YA and is looking for something totally different from most paranormal YA out there. All of the abilities are mental ones, and I found that to be really interesting and I think most people will too. I also think fans of Contemporary YA would enjoy this as well, as long as you're willing to accept a paranormal aspect. It's not too much and not totally far-fetched. A 5/5! 


--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment