Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Wolves at the Gate (Season 8, #3) by Joss Whedon - Ashley's Review

Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Goodreads

Title: Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Wolves at the Gate (Season 8, #3)
Authors: Drew Goddard (Scriptwriter), Joss Whedon (Scriptwriter), Georges Jeanty (Penciller), Andy Owens (Inker), Michelle Madsen (Colorist), and Richard Starkings (Letterer)
Publication Date: November 19, 2008

My The Long Way Home (#1) Review
My No Future For You (#2) Review

Synopsis: Vampires that, at will, can transform into wolves, panthers, insects, or fog invade the Slayer base of operations in northern Scotland, and not only walk away unscathed, but in possession of Buffy's scythe, the symbol of Slayer power worldwide. Buffy and the Slayer legion travel to Tokyo in order to learn more about their dangerous new foes, as Xander journeys to Transylvania to solicit the only person they've ever known to possess such power: Dracula.

* The celebrated Buffy Season Eight continues with Drew Goddard (Cloverfield, Lost) writing Wolves at the Gate, with Joss Whedon continuing his role as executive producer, and Georges Jeanty as series artist.

* Includes the stand-alone issue written by Buffy creator Joss Whedon, "A Beautiful Sunset."

* Collecting issue #11-15 of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eight series


-----------------------------------------------

Review: This is the first volume where the title is just so obvious that I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. There are literally wolves at the gate. And then I laughed a little bit because the villain is called Twilight and the vampires transform in wolves. 

I'm just going to throw it out there that vampires who can transform into wolves, bees, panthers, fog, etc. are way more terrifying than your normal, every day vampires. Dracula was bad enough by himself, but a whole legion of vamps with his powers? NO THANK YOU. I'm glad these vamps didn't show up until the comics, because I'm pretty sure they would have given me nightmares had they been in the show. 

My favorite part about this volume was that Dracula was back and that we got to learn a little bit more about what Xander did between the end of Season 7 and the beginning of Season 8. I mean, everyone just assumes he jumped right into running the Slayer operations, right? I did. But I like that he went to Transylvania even more! And I loved that the relationship between Xander and Drac is still very much the same. Maybe a little more respect from Drac, but still basically the same. 

This was actually a pretty Xander heavy volume. Between the explanation of his travels, his relationship with Dracula, and his budding relationship with Renee, it was nice to see more about him. I missed his wit and his humor in the first two volumes (it's there, but not as much as I would have liked), and I just missed him in general. 

Oh, there's also a giant mechatronic Dawn. Which is kind of awesome. I was definitely on the same page as Andrew for that one, although I did not ever think that this was a viable scenario. It was fun and exciting and broke up the whole Slayers-staking-Vampires thing happening for the majority of the fight scenes. 

I really enjoyed this volume, and would recommend Wolves at the Gate to anyone who has read the first two volumes. Might as well keep reading, right? I'm glad the show got continued in comic book form, and I can't wait to read the next volume! 4/5.


--Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment